Friday, August 26, 2011

August 23 - First Day of New Routine

Okay, so 5:30 AM came awfully early.  But, I was ready to make sure it was a good first day.  I walked and showered and got ready for the day before getting the kids up.  Once they were up it was crazy.  Getting everyone dressed, fed, hair-duos done, lunches made, and pictures taken is a lot to squeeze in.

I do feel terrible about making Aaris cry her first day.  I wanted to blow dry her hair straight, but she had a ton of tangles.  I had no time to waste and therefore didn't take the time to be gentle.  I yanked and she cried.  I told her that all of this was putting us way behind in schedule.  She cried even more thinking that my statement meant we would run out of time to be able to take pictures.  I reassured her and we ended on a happier note.

We have always ridden to school on our first day, but not this time.  We were running too late.  It ends up that we were still one of the first ones in her class.  It feels weird that she is now on the big kids side of the building.  She was great and such trooper while her mama took pictures in order to some day document everything. 

Okay, so after we got back home I went into productivity mode!!!  I tackled the kitchen.  I needed tackling because it was wild, unruly, charging full speed into a complete disaster, un-occupy-able place to be.  It felt good to have it all clean!!!!

As I was cleaning up I started to put Aaris' leftover pancakes from her plate away.  For some reason she wasn't hungry and only took a few bites.  As I was putting the remaining amount away I decided that it would be okay to take a bite.  Well, it was so delightful that I decided to just emptying the little tupperware bowl.  Boy was it good!!!  And, it was really only about 1 1/2 small pancakes.  Part of me enjoyed just being able to put food into my mouth spontaneously and without having to wonder how it was cooked and if it had sugar in it.

We then headed out for some errands.  We went to the grocery store, the bank, and the pharmacy.  When we came home it was time to feed the kids and get Skylyn to nap.  I had purchased 3 bags of vegetable chips.  Well, I ended up eating a bag for lunch.  I then got to work on making Aaris the cookies she requested as a treat after school: peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies.  I got one batch together before we left.  We had to drive because we were late.  But, I think that has led to a good realization.  Aaris can ride home by herself.  So, all this week we will be working on weaning her from having us there after school.

The homework started the first night.  She has to read 20 minutes to us every night.  She read while I cooked.  I think I frustrated her because I made her stop just about every other sentence to correct what she said.  I am just not good with homework.  I am not a good teacher.  I am very impatient and Aaris drags her feet because she doesn't like doing stuff she doesn't choose to do.  Not a good combination.  

While everyone ate, and since I couldn't eat any of it myself, I went and picked up a Craigslist find.  It's a vintage velvet chair that I can use in my bedroom but also use for a picture prop.  I thank God for all the amazing deals He leads me to!

Aaron took the Aaris to gymnastics and said she did very, very well.  She stayed focused.  She worked hard.  She tried to improve.  Aaron even showed me video he had taken and she looked so beautiful, graceful, strong, and confident.  She even got to be the example for one routine.  When she was telling me all about it, she was busting a the seams with excitement.  She has matured so greatly.  Thank you God for providing her with that development even when I have been in a state that has left me unable to do so.

Dear God, please help me know how to be a better teacher when it come to homework.  I don't want the unbearable experience we had every homework night last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment